SUMMARY: Some questions about joind.

From: <maurice.steyvers_at_ICA.UNIMAAS.NL>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:20:01 +0200

Below is the answer from Sean O'Connel which gives a good summary of the
several answers i received on my question:
----
I found that joind was unfathomable and I was never able to
get it to do more than be a bootp server.  I have been using
the ISC dhcp server (version 2.0) to be both a bootp and a
dhcp server under Tru64.  Also, the newer versions of the
ISC server (3.0beta series) have a lot of spiffy new features
including dynamic dns support which will be of interest to
large installations (which I am not) and pooling and a few
other features.  It might be worth either subscribing to or
at least looking throught the dhcp server list/archives for
the isc server.  The isc server does everything that you want
and has a pretty friendly dhcpd.conf file format unlike the
silly gui thing and lots of hash files that never seem to do
anything under joind (at least that was my experince).
-----
I've already setup a test environment with ISC DHCP version 2.0 and the
results look very promising. It can do all the things i asked for.
Thanks for the answers i received.
Maurice
The original question was: