smp processor utilization as reported by collect

From: Scott Mutchler <smutchler_at_gfs.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:50:18 -0400

Hello All,

Does anyone have (or know where I can find) an explanation of processor utilization in an SMP configuration? I am benchmarking an in-house application on a two processor 4100 (running 4.0F and TCR 1.6; the other cluster node is also a 4100 but with just one cpu). The application is interpreted Progess 4GL.

I am using the tool "collect" v2.0 and the "collgui" tool for graphing results. What I see during the run of this application is that cpu 0 ranges from 15-25% user time, 0 wait, 2-25% system time, and the difference is, of course, idle .

cpu 1, on the other hand, shows the user space ranging from 60-80%, with system time similar to cpu 0, and it also has 0% wait; the difference again is idle (10-40% in this case).

The cpu summary graph (from collgui) seems to have averaged them and shows about 40-45% of the time in user space, 0 wait, a range of 5-25% in system space, and the difference (about 55% on average) as idle.

So my questions: What is a reasonable interpretation of processor use? Is there only 100% of cpu resources available or with two processors is there 100% of each processor, somehow making 200% of the resource available? It seems that the "collgui" tool averaged the two cpus for its graphing. If approximately 20% of one cpu is used and approximately 80% of the other cpu is used, is the application essentially getting 100% of a cpu resource? What is a good explanation for this?

I welcome any insights or advice on this topic. I want to be sure to size our system appropriately for its expected load.

Thank you in advance

Scott Mutchler
Gordon Food Service