[SUMMARY] weird firmware upgrade problem

From: rich <raf_at_ezunx.com>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 22:04:25 -0400

Well, I guess my problem did not strike a lot of familiar notes
with people. However, thanks to the few who did respond.
Although, none of the suggestions worked, I still thank you.
Here is the even weirder solution to the whole thing.

A few folks suggested that I did actually have some bad memory,
and some suggested that the console was set to serial. Neither
of these was the case, and thank goodness I did not have a blown mother
board.

It turns out the keyboard was bad. I decided to try something a plug in a
serial connection and see if I got anything. I did. BUT -- all the saved
settings
within console variables were gone. Things like boot device, and many
others.
How this happened I don't know. Since I have upgraded firmware before, I have
never lost the settings. It is almost as though it "thought" the battery
had been
removed, but had not. Go figure.

So, after I replace the bad keyboard, I was able to finish all the other
upgrades
to several other systems (they were all on a switch, so you can guess the
frustration I had) Anyway, I was able to upgrade, which was required so I go
install tru64 5.0a -- all 4 systems are now happy campers.

Thanks again for the responses, as it made me stop and think that maybe I
did have a weird hardware problem and not a blown system.

Regards