cannot update firmware

From: Grant Schoep <grant_at_storm.com>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 20:21:45 -0700

I just got a hold of an older Alpha 200 4/233 machine. I am planning on
putting 4.0f on it and am trying to update the firmware. I've done this a
few times on other machines, but this one is working nicely.

I boot to the firmware cdrom(v5.4) and it ask me to select the boot file,
I just leave it at its default, since it looks correct.

It then proceeds to reboot and says its booting of the new firmware(7.0),
but then stops at the jumping to bootstrap code. I am confused as to why it
stops here. console IS set to graphics, not serial, which I've seen cause
similar problems.

I know its not my CDROM, because I tried a floppy firmware update as well.

I did see that last email on this"subject: weird firware ..." I tried
switching the keyboard, but that didn't help.

Any ideas?
        -grant'

Grant Schoep, grant_at_storm.com
System/Network Administrator
L3 Communications Telemetry & Instrumentation
San Jose,CA