Problems with cpio

From: Dermot Paikkos <dermot_at_sciencephoto.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:41:46 +0100

Hi Mangers.
I have a backup script which reads as follows.

cd /usr/desk
find ./ -depth -print | cpio -pdum /usr9/backup/desk

This script is run by cron and we do a backup to a separate disk as
well as to a tape each night. I was horrified to discover the other day
that only 5-10% of files are updated. When I compare the 2
directories the modification dates are not the same.
Quesiton is; why doesn't cpio -pdum not copy all the files
unconditionally?
If I rm -r the /usr9/backup/desk it copies all the files as you'd
expect. There seems to be nothing in the man pages which might
help. Although there are lots of small files I don't think any would
exceed the 128 bytes pathname restriction.

Any ideas?
Dp.

~~
Dermot Paikkos * dermot_at_sciencephoto.co.uk
Network Administrator _at_ Science Photo Library
Phone: 0207 432 1100 * Fax: 0207 286 8668