How do you replace a boot drive?

From: George Gallen <ggallen_at_slackinc.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:28:48 -0400

I want to replace our boot drive (a 2.1gb) with a larger one. Last time
I did this it was with a fresh install, How would you do this on a system
that isn't being
upgraded by software and keep the /usr and other / related files intact.

>From what I read on the archives:

a. take one drive out of /etc/fstab (where the new system disk will reside
   while being prepped) and shutdown - put proposed new system disk in
   and power up
b. power to single user
c. prepare newdisk filesystems (in one of my other drives slots for now)
d. here's where I'm not sure, everything I read was for creating an
identicle copy
   but I want to go from a 2.1gb to a 9.1gb, so the filesystems will be much

   larger. Is the following still valid for this:

1. create a disklabel

2. create filesystems

3. mkdir /rz?a ; mount /dev/rz?a /rz?a
    mkdir /rz?g ; mount /dev/rz?g /rz?g
    mkdir /rz?h ; mount /dev/rz?h /rz?h

4. dump 0f - / | (cd /rz?a ; restore rf -)
    dump 0f - /usr | (cd /rz?g ; restore rf -)
    dump 0f - /usr2 | (cd /rz?h ; restore rf -)

5. umount /rz?a
    umount /rz?g
    umount /rz?h

6. shutdown - swap in the new drive replace drive pulled for where
    new system disk sat to be prepared and power back up to
    fix /etc/fstab to now include the disk taken out and mount it

7 reboot to clear up anything.

Does the system drive need any other filesystems? or is a,g,h fine?

Thanks
George

George Gallen
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Accounting/Data Division
ggallen_at_slackinc.com
ph:856.848.1000 Ext 220

SLACK Incorporated - An innovative information, education and management
company
http://www.slackinc.com