yppasswdd: prpasswd ndbm update failed (Tru46 V5.0/C2/NIS)

From: Uwe Richter <ur_at_minet.uni-jena.de>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:36:02 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello all,

after beeing happy to got a little NIS test domain running for enhanced
security and setting (hopefully) all the things recommended
(d_skip_ttys_updates, d_skip_success_login_log, ndbm),
I constantly get complains of the "rpc.yppasswdd" process on the NIS
master about not beeing able to update a map:

Jun 29 14:44:54 mynismater yppasswdd[22486]:
  yppasswdd: prpasswd ndbm update failed for key testuser

In fact, all maps (and sources) are updated correctly!! and pushed to NIS
slaves by the

/usr/sbin/rpc.yppasswdd /var/yp/src/passwd /var/yp/src/prpasswd -m passwd
prpasswd

But every update action on enhanced security items forced by the default
system entry result in a delay of 1 min. until the requesting
user process gets a ready back.
"tracing" the listening prpasswd shows that the rpc-calls are serviced
successfully.

The same messages occur *regardless* the DB format (ndbm/btree) that was
set up for the maps.

So I'm a little bit in doubt what the rpc.yppasswd does after beeing told
to do a "make" in /var/yp, because manually rebuilding all NIS maps takes
about 10 seconds only.

Does anyone can give me a hint or observed the same behaviour?

Many thanks in advance
Uwe

--
Uwe Richter
Jena University, Faculty of Mathematics & Computer Science