SUMMARY: What can be done to check alpha hardware

From: Marcin Kasperski <Marcin.Kasperski_at_softax.com.pl>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:37:29 +0200

I asked for hints how to diagnose whether my Tru64Unix Alpha has some
hardware error. Thanks to all the people sending suggestions, in
particular to Jan Hansen for a letter containing a few options and also
to Alex Harkema, Stuart Gordon, Massimo Rigoselli, Joe Fletcher, Iwao
Makino for presenting selected options in more detail. I am to apply the
techniques mentioned here.

Below I try to summarize all the hints (I mix citations from different
posts to organize them in 'per-tool' manner).

*) You should use the commands
        uerf -o full -R | more
or
        dia -o full -R | more
if DECevent is installed.
(check if you are getting any cache related memory faults)

DECevent is available on associated products CDs and downloadable from
the service web sites.

For TruUnix V5 theres Compaq Analyse.

*) If the server crashes check /var/adm/crash. Send these files to
Compaq to be analyzed. The file crash-data.# can be read. Try searching
for "panic_string".

*) Try installing sys_check if not allready installed. The output from
this command is very helpful for yourself and Compaq. Run it on
regularly basis

# /usr/sbin/sys_check -all > /home/log/SERVERNAME.`date +%d-%m-%y`.html
--or something alike ;)

You can run this utility whenever you want. It creates a (html) file,
containing your complete configuration, load data and so on, and will
also issue warning for everything within the configuration, that isn't
okay.

*) Put your machine in console mode and run "test"

*) Try connecting a PC with a terminalemulator that is able to log and
set the console variable "console = serial". The output logged on the
serial port is very important.

*) See also memx and related exerciser utilities

*) Check the file /var/adm/messages. Errors should get a mention in
there

*) You might also want to look at the scu utility where SCSI devices
are concerned.

*) You can test certain hardware by using DEC VET if not using 5.0.

--
Marcin.Kasperski | You have the right to produce quality work at all the
  _at_softax.com.pl | times. (Ken Beck's Fourth Developer Right)