How to set up a LAT printer in printcap file

From: Dirk Bergl <dirk_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 03:59:42 +0800

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to setup a LAT printer under 4.0d , and I'm *almost* there, apart
from the last step.

I haven't seen the lat server yet , and I haven't been able to find out
whether it's SVR4 or a BSD type.

So I created a few devices for both, using latsetup, and "mknod /dev/lat/620
c 5 620"

I then configured the device via..

  latcp -A -p 620 -H SERVER_NAME -R PORT_NAME

(620 inder /dev/lat/... I haven't tried a tty yet)

Which seemed to work fine.

My question is , is there any particular trick to setting up the printcap
file. I've tried something like:
lat01:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lat01:\
        :ct=lat:\
        :lp=:/dev/lat/620:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lat01:

It will print but the print jobs go nowhere.

I've read some messages that suggest to take the entries out of
/etc/inittab.
I tried this but it *appears* that these entries relate to the tty's (BSD)
???

Am I missing anything simple?? I guess it's a bit harder due to the fact
I'm not sure if I should be trying BSD or SVR4.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions!!

Thanks in advance,
Dirk.
dirk_at_iinet.net.au