Suspected nfs problem

From: Ryan McConigley <ryan_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 17:42:19 +0001

        Greetings, I recently started in this new position job and I suddenly have
a dozen or so Tru64 boxes under my control and I've come across a
perplexing problem on one of the machines.

        It is running Tru64, v5 and nfs v3. When any user on that machine tries
to edit a file which is on a drive mounted on another machine it takes an
inordinate length of time for it to come up. For example, five minutes to
bring up a 300 byte text file under vi. If they are accessing a file on a
local drive its almost instantanous. If they log into another machine and
access teh file it is also pretty much instantanous. Connecting from other
machines to a drive on the problem machine doesn't show any problems either.

        I'm relatively sure its a nfs issue and I've tried a few obvious things,
even resorted to restarting the machine, but to no avail.

        Also, possibly as a hint. On the problem machine, pine doesn't work. We
recompiled the source in case that was corrupt, but when you enter pine it
just sits there telling you its opening the inbox. I left it in that state
for 8hrs - I had two files in my inbox and they never came up. You end up
having to kill pine. Strangely, mail, xmail and elm work perfectly.

        Any suggestions?

        Cheers,
                Ryan.

--
          Ryan McConigley - Systems Administrator                  _.-,
     Computer Science   University of Western Australia        .--'  '-._