Alpha 8400 4.0d->4.0f upgrade: overflowed third level page table

From: David J. DeWolfe <sxdjd_at_java.sois.alaska.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 20:54:51 -0800

All;

Today (Sunday 07/30/2000) we attempted to upgrade our 8400 from 4.0d patch
kit 4 to 4.0f. The system in question is:

        Alpha 8400, 8 cpu, 12G RAM Console firmware 5.7-4, 4.0d Patch Kit 4

and after starting the installupdate and successfully loading 97 subsets
the upgrade process rebooted the system. Upon booting back up the following
error occurred:

Current PAL Revision <0x10000100010115>
Switching to OSF PALcode Succeeded
New PAL Revision <0x10000100020117>
Mapping Image Address Space
overflowed third level page table

CPU 0 halted
halt code = 5
HALT instruction executed
PC = 20010600

We logged an SRQ with support and they walked us through a few things
including attempting to boot genvmunix which failed with the same error as
well. We'll be picking this up with support again in the morning.

Fortunately for us, this was a "dry run" of the actual upgrade which is
scheduled for a week from today. To do a "dry run" we shutdown our
production system and boot to single user mode. At that point we
vdump/vrestore /, /usr, /var, and /tmp to another disk and then boot off of
that disk and do a "dry run" of the upgrade. When we're done with the dry
run we shutdown and boot off of the "production" system disks. Dry run's
are standard procedure for all our production server upgrades. We do this
in order to find any problems that we might encounter before the day of the
actual upgrade.

So, we're back in business but we need to try to figure out what the
problem is. Has anyone encountered this before? We've upgraded several
other servers (2100's, 4100 etc) from 4.0d to 4.0f without problem.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc?

TIA and I will summarize.

David
mailto:sxdjd_at_ts.sois.alaska.edu