[SUMMARY & further Q] PWS 500au, Tru64 Unix 4.0F installation failure

From: Arrigo Triulzi <arrigo_at_albourne.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 13:27:50 +0100 (BST)

Dear all,

first of all the thank you list:

Marco Luchini
Nick James
Stephen Lowe
Nikola Milutinovic
Richard Westlake
Ricard Loken
Selden E Ball Jr
Charles Knox
Paul Roetman

Original message:

I am rather stumped by this one... a little bit of history:

* the box, a PWS 500au, suffered from the famed "high quality battery
  failure" and started thinking it was an NT box,

* user thought he could fix it himself and proceeded to stick an NT
  boot sector on the box by trying to install NT,

* first bit of / gets corrupted,

* given it was due for an upgrade from 4.0D PK#6 to 4.0F PK#4 I
  proceed with a clean reinstall once I fix it to speak SRM again (and
  upgrade the firmware to 5.7 in the meantime).

* boot from CD, partition disk, select subsets, start install...

* it starts installing OSFBASE440, copies the subset, starts verifying
  and fails the verify,

* tries again automagically and fails again.

If I reboot the box it fails complaining about the lack of osf_boot so
I have the vague suspicion that perhaps (only perhaps) it is unable to
write osf_boot in the "correct place".

The CD has been tested and is 100% readable with no errors being
reported both on the dead box and another PWS - the CD drive is fine
and has been swapped for a known-good to no avail.

Stuff I've already tried:

* disklabel -z
* scu format on the disk
* scu verify (just in case the disk is dead)
* dd if=/dev/rz8c of=/dev/null (/dev/rz8c is the CD-ROM) to check if
  the CD is 100% readable - no errors.

Any suggestions welcome...

[Addendum to the above said:]

In addition to my previous mail, I have now tried:

* DU 4.0E - same problem, dies on OSFBASE435,
* upgrade firmware from 5.4 to 5.7 - same problem.

I have honestly run out of ideas completely... any takers?

P.S. I've been asked if the install was UFS or AdvFS: it was UFS,
        so I tried AdvFS, same result :-(

[Summary, sort of]

What happened next (suggested by people on the net):

1) disklabel -wr -t advfs rz0 RZxx - Nope

2) To test that, you might try dd'ing the CD directly to the drive's
   c partition. (it'll complain about block 0, but that should be all.)
   Of course the result won't be particularly useful, but it ought
   to be bootable. - Nope

3) ECU utility - Nothing wrong

What happened next (my stuff):

1) tried swapping the CD-ROM drive (I thought, perhaps stupidly, that
   the CD didn't like one bit of the CD, the one with osf_boot). That
   didn't work either,
2) SCSI low-level format the disk. No difference.
3) SCSI destructive verify. Most beautifully undamaged disk in
   history.
4) Try the disk in a different box. Perfect clean install.
5) Try booting the box with disk in 4) -> Unable to read osf_boot

So, my conclusion is that there is something ill which has nothing to
do with the SCSI subsystem or the IDE subsystem - perhaps SRM didn't
like the power cut and I have a half-witted SRM console??

Any further ideas welcome - how does one wipe an SRM clean & re-flash?
Clearly the upgrade process doesn't do so because console variables
are kept.

Ciao,

Arrigo

P.S. BTW, Digital, sorry, Compaq tell me that I am dreaming it but
        will not come out and test the machine for another week (I am
        on a cheapo maintenance contract).