SUMMARY: Patch Kit 3 for DU v4.0D

From: Antonio Urbano <a.urbano_at_lycos.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 14:25:19 +0100

Hello Managers,

My goal was to install Oracle Parallel Server 8.0.5 in DU 4.0D with TruCluster 1.5. In OracleMetalink it was stated that PatchKit 3 would have to be installed and oracle product relinked.

Installing PatchKit 6 and the relinking the oracle programs seemed to work correctly.

Special thanks to Russ Fish, Nikola Milutinovic and Steve Applegate. Their messages are reproduced below. My original message is reproduced in the end.

Thank you.

Regards
Antonio Urbano
--------------------------------
Tel.: +351 - 22 995 30 00 (ext. 1131)
Fax: +351 - 22 995 50 62
e-mail: a.urbano_at_mailcity.com
--------------------------------

*** sapplega_at_cityutil.com ***

I'm looking for Patch Kit 3... I believe I have a copy of it somewhere.

And yes, Patch Kit 6 is supposed to supersede all previous kits.

Steve

*** Nikola.Milutinovic_at_ev.co.yu ***

Antonio Urbano wrote:

> Hello Managers!
>
> We have a 2 node alpha cluster based on Digital Unix 4.0D and
TruCluster 1.5. This system is used to support Oracle Parallel Server 8.0.4.3.

> As we plan to move to Oracle 8.0.5.2.1, and later to 8.0.6, we
ended up by encounter the need for Patch Kit 3. When the 4.0D was
installed (August 1998), Patch Kit 2 was applied. Until now this
was not a problem since we are running Oracle 8.0.4.3. We have no
plans to upgrade the operating system, for now.

> In the Oracle MetaLink web site, we found a reference to subset
OSFPAT00029901425 that I think means Patch 299.01, and is supposed
to be in Patch Kit 3. Looking into for the patch kits' at Compaq
site, I only found the tar file for Patch Kit 6, that I supposed
is the more recent one for 4.0D.

> What I would like to know is:
>
> a) where can I get the tar file for Patch Kit 3 ?

Well, I have it, but I have no direct means of furnishing it to you,
sorry. I don't think you'll get it from DEC. Maybe...

> b) if I can't, will Patch Kit 6 install Patch 299.01 ? (according
to the documentation, no, but if patch kits are cumulative as it
is said, then it might be superseded by other patch in Patch Kit 6)

All patch kits are cumulative, PK6 is a superset of PK3.

> c) any special advice or warning about these Patch Kits ?

Go for it, nobody complained on PK6 (and we did complain on PK5).

Nix.

*** Russ_Fish_at_idx.com ***

Hi Antonio--
Let me know if you can't find it elsewhere--I have 4.0D PK3 (we run it on
several machines). It is fairly big (~30mb I think) but I can FTP it somewhere
if you want.
--Russ

[...]

Thanks in advance

Regards
Antonio Urbano

Send your favorite photo with any online greeting!
http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/americangreetings.rdct