SUMMARY: single-user mode -> no home directory

From: <Russ_Fish_at_idx.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 20:53:21 -0700

To: Tru 64 Gurus

Not a good, but a satisfactory resolution--this behavior seems to be
by design (or perhaps by default) in single-user mode. Many good suggestions
were received: use bcheckrc, mount -u -t advfs, etc. Compaq support suggested
switching to /bin/sh (our default root shell is /bin/ksh), but this did not
appear to help. I shut down another system to see if the behavior is
consistent, and it is, so I'm not going to worry about it for now. The
encapsulation issue is still open but it is not a showstopper (this system
goes up for production use tomorrow night come h**l or high water).
Thanks go to:

"John J. Francini" <francini_at_zk3.dec.com>

Jeff Beck <jbeck_at_carewiseinc.com>

Steve Thompson <smt_at_NICS1.corning.com>

"MacDonell, Dennis" <DennisMacDonell_at_auslig.gov.au>

************* My original question ***************

We recently increased the size of our boot volume on a 4100 (4.0D PK3).
I restored the root and usr domains to the new drive (RZ2DD-LS), but
when I boot to single-user mode, I see the following:

# mount -u /
# cd /tmp
# cd
no home directory

If I boot the system normally, it works fine. Root and /usr partitions are
AdvFS. Separate problem with the issue above is that enapsulating the root
volume does not work, I get the error below:

starting LSM
LSM: Initializing rz24d.
lsm:vold: Error: /dev/volevent: No such device or address
LSM: rz24d initialization failed, rebooting.

But once the volume is mounted, I can see /dev/volevent just fine. AdvFS
verify on both root_domain and usr_domain pass normally.