V4.0F dupatch problem

From: Kevin Jones <Kevin.Jones_at_compelsolve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:21:58 +0100

Hello once more,

I was requested yesterday evening to install a KGPSA-CA fibre channel
adapter into an ES40. The minimum requirement for this card is V4.0F and
patch kit 2, we decided to install patch kit 4 - the latest.
After booting to single user it was noted that basic commands (ls, df etc.)
failed to work, hence the full path to commands had to be typed. This was
found to be down to the PATH environment variable.
We started dupatch anyway....... it started gave a couple of errors, then
asked us to Return to continue, or Q to quit. I selected Q, at this point
the disks went very busy, and I became concerned when error messages about
failure to remove files due to permission denied started to appear. I
ctrl-c'd the process. It appears that dupatch had tried to delete / , /usr -
I'm not sure whether it would have continued down the directory structure
had I not stopped it.
After restoring the deleted filesystems, I modified the PATH and dupatch
worked fine.

Has anyone else seen problems with dupatch if the PATH has /sbin, /usr/sbin
etc. missing ? I would have expected the dupatch process to be more robust
than this.

Also when in single user mode, where is the PATH defined ? I expected it to
be in /.profile but modifying this did not seem to make any difference.

Regards

Kevin Jones

email : mailto:kevin.jones_at_compelsolve.co.uk

Standard Email disclaimer follows for legal reasons....

The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended for the
addressee only. Copying or use by anybody else is not authorised. Its
content does not necessarily represent the opinion of Hamilton Rentals
PLC (part of the Compel Group) or any of its affiliates. If you are not
the intended recipient, please advise the sender by return e-mail.

This email was scanned for over 40,000 known viruses by
kerberos.hamilton.co.uk. It was deemed clean for transmission.