Summary - Slow Connection

From: Jackie R. Miller <jmiller_at_whitworth.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 10:11:06 -0700

Tru64 List,

SUMMARY - SLOW CONNECTION VIA TELNET, FTP, AND SAMBA.

Thanks for the help. In our case the slow telnet, ftp, and failed Samba
connections were due to a change in DNS servers and a wiring change. Here
are the things to check in order of number of responses suggesting the
issue:

1. Check DNS reverse lookup. A quick way to check this is to put the IP
address of a remote machine that is having the slow connection problem in
/etc/hosts and if that solves the problem it is probably DNS. The files to
check for DNS are: /etc/svc.conf, /etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/hosts.

2. Check that the NIC card and the switch are both configured the same. In
our case we had to go to 10M half duplex on both ends. Auto negotiation can
be a problem.

3. If your machine does not get rebooted on a regular schedule there could
be a memory leak which could exhibit similar symptoms.

Thanks to:

Sean O'Connell, Jorge Bochert, Calvin Coghlan, Sean Harding, Robert Mulley,
Robert Bumpus, Larry Clegg, Nickola Milutinovic,Kevin Riggins, and Cyndi
Smith

Jackie R. Miller
Director, Information Systems
Whitworth College