Update: Cannot boot from spare system disk

From: Wakeman, Lindsay <Lindsay.Wakeman_at_bl.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:12:03 +0100

Thanks so much to all for the extremely fast responses - these all ask much
the same
question about the /etc/fdmns links. I believe these are as they should be.

Here's what I did in a little more detail (it's a 4.0E system)

  * normal system disk is rz8 (has root, swap, usr and var as rz8a,rz8b rz8g
and rz8h)
  * I put the spare disk in spare slot (machine recognised it as rz11)

  * disklabel -r rz8 > /tmp/rz8_label
  * disklabel -R -r -t advfs rz11 /tmp/rz8_label BB00911C

  * I made the new spare domains on the live rz8 disk (i.e. for
    rz11a, rz11g and rz11h) and mounted them up on spare points
  * I then did the vrestores to rz11a, rz11g and rz11h. This copied the
original
  (i.e. rz8-based) fdmns directory correctly to the spare disk /etc
directory
  * I physically swapped out the original rz8 and put the spare disk in and
tried to boot.

   It obviously gets the root partition ok, as it boots the
    kernel, and only fails when it tries to mount /usr/ and /var

  I've double checked the etc/fdmns area in the *spare* disk - they are
exactly the
same as the original i.e.:

        root_domain rz8a -> /dev/rz8a
        usr_domain rz8g -> /dev/rz8g
        var_domain rz8h -> /dev/rz8h

(the original fdmns of course also now has the extra links for rz11, so I
can mount
the spare in the spare slot and view its contents - which look fine)

  Both copies of the /etc/fstab are the same.

 Some people mentioned checking out the SCSI Id (I haven't had chance to
 get the system time to try this yet) - but surely this isn't used at this
level of the
 proceedings?

  I'm still foxed, but feel like the fdmns issue must be the key area since
I've
  done all this successfully before with a UFS-based system disk.

  Any more ideas welcome!!

  Thanks

  Lindsay