Terminal server / LAT Problems ....

From: Thomas Leitner <tom_at_radar.tu-graz.ac.at>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:49:45 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello,

We have an old DECServer 200MC here and an application which constantly
writes data to a serial port. I have /dev/tty05 configured to connect to a
dedicated port #5 on the terminal server. I'm running Tru64 4.0F, PK4.
The terminal server is connected to the Alpha via a Switch and a dual
speed hub like this:
                     100MBit 100MBit 10MBit
            -- Alpha ----- Switch ----- Hub ----- DecServer

Everything works as expected. The problem is that about once or twice a
day, the LAT connection to the terminal server is dropped and no data
output occurs on the serial line. Of course our application cannot
detect this situation because it only knows about /dev/tty05 which
happily still accepts the data to be written.

There are no log-file entries or something like that. The only cure
is to restart our application which re-opens the port which causes
the LAT connection to be re-established.

The network connection is very reliable. Still I already have played
with some LAT timers. This is my current setting on the terminal server
side:

DECserver 200 V3.3 BL39 LAT V5.1 ROM BL20 Uptime: 23 23:50:37

Address: 08-00-2B-0A-E8-05 Name: FINWTS Number: 0

Identification: INW - WIIS Terminal Server

Circuit Timer: 80 Password Limit: 3
Console Port: 1 Prompt: finwts>
Inactivity Timer: 120 Queue Limit: 100
Keepalive Timer: 20 Retransmit Limit: 120
Multicast Timer: 120 Session Limit: 32
Node Limit: None Software: PR0801ENG

Service Groups: 0

Enabled Characteristics:

Announcements, Broadcast, Dump, Lock

Any idea anyone what I could do about it? I *think* the problems started
about one or two month ago when I either installed a new patch kit or
upgraded the OS from V4.0E to V4.0F.

Tom
Dr. Tom Leitner                             Dept. of Communications
                                            Graz University of Technology,
e-mail    : tom_at_radar.tu-graz.ac.at         Inffeldgasse 12
Phone     : +43-316-873-7455                A-8010 Graz / Austria / Europe
Fax       : +43-316-463-697
Home page : http://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/people/tom.html
PGP public key on : ftp://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/pgp-keys/tom.asc or send
mail with subject "get Thomas Leitner" to pgp-public-keys_at_keys.pgp.net
    Before we have the paperless office, we have the paperless toilet!