SUMMARY: allowing only ftp access

From: Andy Cohen <acohen_at_cognex.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 09:53:35 -0400

Hi -

Well it turns out to be a simple solution.

First I'll clarify my goal. Some people were wondering if the server was
going to be used solely for this ftp access (i.e. -- no interactive logins
for any account whatsoever) in which case one solution would be to disable
the telnet daemon. But my goal was to create a new account on this box that
would only be allowed to ftp to this box. I still wanted to have telnet
access for other accounts.

So the answer was to set this new account's shell to /bin/false and add
/bin/false to the /etc/shells file. Now this account can ftp to this box
but cannot telnet in. Now I suppose I should be looking for ways to prevent
the user from get-ting files from this machine and only allow put or send.

Thanks to everybody who helped me out on this!

Original question:
I searched the archives but only found answers to restricting or denying ftp
access. I want to do the opposite that is to allow only ftp access (no
telnet or interactive logins) -- is this possible? I'm creating an account
that will have a text file deposited into a sub-directory nightly.

Andy