setup for LaserJet 2100M ?

From: Steven Michael ROBBINS <stever_at_jeff.CS.McGill.CA>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 22:50:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

The following applies to a v4.0F system.

A prof. just plugged his shiny new HP LaserJet 2100m printer
into the parallel port of his Tru64 machine, and asked me to
configure it.

Of course, the CD that came with it had instructions & drivers
only for Microsoft OSes.

Of course, neither HP nor Compaq has any easily-findable information on
their web about how to connect these two together.

Of course, when I ran `lprsetup' or `printconfig' on the alpha,
this printer was not among the available choices.

So I guessed, and chose HP6-something-or-other from the lprsetup
options. Of course, it didn't work.

I tried `ps_level2' ... amazingly (to me) it worked!

But is it optimal?

What does the "printer type" choice in `lprsetup' control? Input & output
filters for printcap, I'd imagine, but anything else?

I ended up with /usr/lbin/ps_level2of for the `if' and `of' termcap
settings. Would I be better off with something else, like
`ps_level2of_isolatin1', or one of the `hplaser*' things in /usr/lbin?
[Where is the documentation of these? `man hplaserof' returns nothing.]

Anyone else with a 2100-series printer connected to a tru64 machine?

Thanksabunch,
-Steve