More: Ethernet Card Link Light Disappears During Boot

From: Bruce B. Platt <bbp_at_comport.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:10:31 -0400

My original question is below. I was reminded by a member of this list
that I left out some important information
which is:

After the system completes its boot-up, the ethernet card which now loses
its link light doesn't work.
The second card keeps it's link light through the boot process and does
work. One ethernet port is the built in port.
This is the one that works. The other is a DE-435.

The kernel will not load any routes which use that card. So, the IP
address to-be-configured
onto the card does not get configured, and the IP address and network
associated with that card
do not show in a netstat -rn. And, addresses which otherwise would be
pingable or reachable from card,
are not.

Thanks and regards,

Bruce

I have a purpose built machine which suffered a disk crash early this morning.

After rebuilding the system with a new disk, I now note that the first
ethernet card loses its link light
during the boot process at the point where the console screen and the
kern.log file show:

Oct 19 16:03:25 machinename vmunix: tu0: DEC TULIP (10Mbps) Ethernet
Interface, hardware address: 00-00-F8-20-B
E-44
Oct 19 16:03:25 machinename vmunix: tu0: console mode: selecting 10BaseT
(UTP) port: half duplex

The second ethernet card keeps it's link OK.

This did not happen before the crash and the rebuild, and I have examined
the relevant configuration files to mkae sure they
have not changed. But, in any case, this event occurs before any of the
files such as /etc/rc.config are read.

The machine is an Alpha Station 255 running V4.0d PK3. (Yes, it's old, but
all it needs to do is perform one function.)

The firmware settings are the same as they were before the crash, and the
firmware is correct for both ewa0 and ewb0.

I have not tried to replace the ethernet card yet, as it seems as if the
"system" is turning off the link.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I will summarize.

Thanks and regards,

Bruce

Bruce B. Platt, Ph.D.
Comport Consulting Corporation
78 Orchard Street, Ramsey, NJ 07446
Phone: 201-236-0505 Fax: 201-236-1335
bbp_at_comport.com, bruce_at_ bruce.platt_at_
OR, bruce_at_bbplatt.com