[SUMMARY] new, unconfig'd DS-10 hang

From: Christopher C. Stevenson <csteven_at_kelvin.physics.mun.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 16:22:44 -0230 (NDT)

I wrote to mention that I couldn't get a new DS-10 booted. The cause:
-Possibly a bad CD-ROM.

But there's more.

Dr. Tom Blinn got back to me and suggested, as a couple of others
did, that the sole IDE device on our box, the CD-ROM, was acting up.
In fact, uncabling the CD allowed the box to boot up to X, and
run the factory setup. I selected the halt option, to make sure
that this behavior was repeatable.

In fact, when I tried again, w/o doing anything, I then got the solid blue
screen during the init, but no "Testing System" ever came up. Cycled the
power again, and the system inits. Powered down, re-connected the IDE
cable to the CD, then up: "Testing System" followed by "Testing Disks
(Read Only)" followed immediately by something I was seeing before (and
should've mentioned), "dqa.0.0.13.0 no media present or disabled with
RUN/STOP switch", after which it proceded again to >>>. I imagine
that before I'd interpreted that message as "normal", given that
indeed there was no media in the drive. Tried again, blue
screen. Tried again, init to >>>. Booted: (just typed "b"), and lo and
behold, there's a slight pause when polling the CD but it cruises to the
X factory setup screen ... with the CD attached. There it sits as I type
this. Upon recollection, a previous attempt yesterday to boot (everything
as shipped - ie., CD connected), went all the way to "Starting X. please
wait..." and just hung *there*... and sometimes never got past the Blue
Screen.

So... possibly a bad CD, possibly more. I'd be more conclusive if I
hadn't seen init fails (solid blue screen, flashing cursor, nothing more)
with the drive uncabled...

Chris

Christopher C Stevenson C3004 office: (709) 737-2624
Dept. of Physics & Physical Oceanography fax: (709) 737-8739
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, Newfoundland, CANADA A1B 3X7

"A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing
its opponents and making them see the light, but
rather because its opponents eventually die and a
new generation grows up that is familiar with it."
                        -- Max Planck

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
                        -- Oscar Wilde