SUMMARY: Boot Disk/LSM problem

From: Steve Smith <steve.smith_at_Commerzbank.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:44:12 +0100

Original mail tacked below.

Thanks to Colin Walters and Brian Staab for their help.

Both put me on the right track with references to dsfmgr/hwmgr and
having to fully remove dsk0 from the system before renaming dsk20 to dsk0.

Brian suggested I use dsfmgr -d or -r to take the dsf's out for dsk0.

Colin described a more complex procedure that is sometimes necessary where
the system can erroneously report the target dsf as being in use. His mail
contains a
lot of useful info and I've tacked it on at the end of this for reference.

In the end I used hwmgr -delete scsi -did0

where -did0 refers to the SCSI ID in the hwmgr display. After that I was
able
to make then rename as required. Obvious in hindsight!

Steve Smith

----
I'm having some problems replacing a faulty boot disk on V5.0a.
I'm running an 8400 with the two BA shelves at the front of the cab
connected to KZPBA controllers on the PCI bus at the back, with 6 9Gb
fast-wide disks in each shelf.
The top 4 disks in each shelf are LSM mirrored, the top pair being root, the
next swap, then /usr then /var.  the disks up to now have been named
/dev/disk/dsk0-5 (left shelf), /dev/disk/dsk6-11 right shelf.  dsk0 and dsk6
make the root volume.
This morning dsk0 failed, this being the boot disk.  The system carried on
regardless as expected, on dsk6.  Once I got some downtime arranged, I was
able to replace dsk0 with a new disk and reboot directly into dsk6.  No
problem.
The replacement disk came in as /dev/disk/dsk20 - the next available number.
I then followed the instructions in the LSM manual and deleted the dsk0
references, using volplex rm dis, voldg rmdisk, and voldisk rm commands as
prescribed.
I then tried to rename the new disk back to dsk0 using dsfmgr -m dsk20 dsk0
and got:
dsfmgr: ERROR: second device status is active: dsk0a
volprint -ht and voldisk list both show no remaining references to dsk0 in
any form I can recognise.  Obviously this is the old root partition and
something is stuck to it somewhere.  I don't want to mirror dsk20 with dsk6,
and anyway I suspect something will fail later if this isn't resolved.
I've tried a reboot but this didn't produce any chang.
Does anyone have any idea what I can do to clear this up.
TIA
Steve.Smith_at_commerzbank.co.uk
----------------------------
Colin's mail...
Procedure:
Determine the entry in the dfsc.dat file that is
referencing the target disk. For example, if the
target device is dsk7,
# grep "dsk 7" /etc/dfsc.dat
The output from the preceding command is similar to
the following:
A: 0 130003e     48     9     6   c  ""   /dev/tape  tape 7
In this output, the fourth column contains the hardware
identifier (HWID). In this case, it is 48.
Use the following command to confirm the status of the device,
using the HWID from the preceding step which is 48:
# hwmgr -show comp -id 48
If there is output from the command, you should contact
your technical support representative. Otherwise, proceed
with the next step.
If there is no output from the command, then the device is
unknown to the system even though it still appears in device
databases. To correct the problem, enter the following commands
using the HWID of the device:
# dsfmgr -Z rm_cluster_hwid 48 0
# dsfmgr -Z rm_local_hwid 48 0
You can then proceed with the hwmgr -redirect operation
If you still cannot perform the redirect, or move or exchange
the device special files, reboot your system to reset the device
database. Contact your technical support representative if you
cannot reboot the system for any reason.
Cheers,
Colin
Colin Walters
Compaq UNIX Business Segment - Tru64 UNIX Publications Group
System Administration Documentation
Nashua, NH USA Tel: 603-884-0440
http:\\www.zk3.dec.com\~walters (firewalled)
ONLINE DOCUMENTATION AT:
http://www.unix.digital.com/faqs/publications/pub_page/doc_list.html
See our new Best Practices
  This communication is confidential and is intended only for the person to
  whom it is addressed. If you are not that person you are not permitted to
  make use of the information and you are requested to notify
  mailadmin_at_commerzbank.co.uk immediately that you have received it and then
  to destroy the copy in your possession.
  Commerzbank AG is regulated by the SFA for the conduct of investment
  business in the UK.