slow ps and w output

From: M selcukkaraca <selcuk.karaca_at_aski.gov.tr>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 21:13:02 -0800

Good days to all admins,

I have small and -possibly- unimportant question.
For nearly 1 month, while killing processes with process tuner, it has been
waiting 10-20 seconds to come up. while process tuner waits, at the command
prompt w and ps just waits too. 1 month ago, killing processes much more
fast. approximately 2-3 seconds.

For just to give a detail, in our -other- machine, when I killed a dia
process (again 1 month ago), it has totally gone. any w or ps just waited
(ctrl-c didn't work even) . All other commands (ls etc..) run without
problem. And I needed to restart the machine. After this, it comes to
normal.

At that time, I ignored that machine because it was not our production
server... But Now I consider why it waits so much..

Can you help me to understand why ps and w output waits su much, when I am
killing priocesses ?

Thank you for your time ...

selcuk.karaca_at_aski.gov.tr
Unix sys Admin