summary re OSIS/IASS

From: Tim Gallagher <mtg_at_esca.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 07:17:37 -0800 (PST)

Thanks very much to William H. Magill and Alan Davis for their quick,
informative responses.

Apparently this is a product shipped normally with new machines but not
part of the normal T64 distribution and upgrades must be purchased.

___
My original question:

We have an interest in using the LDAP server which apparently comes with
T64 v5.1. -- I have seen it referred to variously as OSIS and IASS.

Are there any strong opinions pro/con re this product? I assume it must be
included in one of the netscape kits, any pointers to documentation?
___

I have included their responses below.

OSIS is a separately priced product -- different from the Open Source CD.

THe OSIS CD is included with each new hardware purchase, but you have to
order the updates - it's something like $100 for 4 cds a year.

The main thing that OSIS gets you is support. The contents of the OSIS CD
are fully supported by Compaq (assuming you have a support contract) ,
unlike the Open Source CD where nothing is supported.

Look at:
http://tru64unix.compaq.com/applications.html

The OSIS folks are trying to get it included with the standard Tru64
distribution like the Open Source CD, but it hasn't happened yet.

*****

Almost forgot. The OSIS LDAP server is strickly a bare-bones server.
It was created so that certain apps on the OSIS CD which neeed a directory
server would get one for free. It will never be enhanced much beyond the
basic /userid/password/group/name stuff. It's only a simple alternative to
NIS/YP level stuff.

*****

 The Open Source Internet Solutions kit, formerly known as IASS, is
shipped
with every new Alpha or may be purchased from Compaq separately for
$495USD.
I've got the part number somewhere, if you want it and can't find it
elsewhere let me know. When I called last week to get a price the customer
rep couldn't find it without the part number.

*****