Installation identical Tru64 systems ...

From: Thomas Leitner <tom_at_radar.tu-graz.ac.at>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 10:29:24 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

I have five identical machines (identical hardware), I want to install
Tru64 4.0f on. In order to save some work (and to save the setup for
recovery purposes later), I thought that I setup a machine as required and
try to duplicate the installation to the four other machines.

I thought that the following steps may be sufficient:

- On the already installed machine:
    + vdump /, /usr and /home to files.
    + save the "disklabel -r" output to a file
    + write a small script to restore the disklabel
       and install the boot block
    + burn all files to a CD-ROM in ISO9660 format. The CD-ROM
      is called recovery CD-ROM

- Now on the client machine which is to be installed:

   + boot from the Tru64 4.0F installation CD-ROM
   + open a shell window
   + take out the installation CD-ROM and insert the
     recovery CD-ROM and mount it.
   + run the script to label the fresh disk and create the filesystems
   + vrestore everything to /, /usr and /home

Question: Is this feasible? Any more ideas anyone?

Thanks // Tom
Dr. Tom Leitner                             Dept. of Communications
                                            Graz University of Technology,
e-mail    : tom_at_radar.tu-graz.ac.at         Inffeldgasse 12
Phone     : +43-316-873-7455                A-8010 Graz / Austria / Europe
Fax       : +43-316-463-697
Home page : http://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/people/tom.html
PGP public key on : ftp://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/pgp-keys/tom.asc or send
mail with subject "get Thomas Leitner" to pgp-public-keys_at_keys.pgp.net
    Before we have the paperless office, we have the paperless toilet!