netscape cache ignoring set limit

From: Dan Kirkpatrick <dkirk_at_phy.syr.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:40:50 -0500

(I'd ask this to netscape but still haven't gotten a reply from the last
quesion a month ago)

Has anyone noticed the limits being ignored for Netscape cache?

It defaults to the users home/.netscape/cache set at 5mb. I just purged
one user who had 40mb of cache (although it was set at 5mb). This proves
to be a recurring problem for users with small disk quotas.

Any other solutions or suggestions others use? It would be much better to
set everyone at 0 disk cache.
Is there a way to globally set the cache amount and/or location? Or at
least change the defaults for "new" users of netscape? I couldn't find
what I needed in the Netscape.ad (X window preferences) and furthermore,
each client has independent copy of binaries.

I could tell each person to set their cache to 0 or change the directory to
a local /tmp/user (wont solve 100%)
Or I could manually go through all preferences and change their settings.
(yuck)
Or... just have a cron job delete all cache directories (brute force)

There must be a better way that someone else has done
Dan Kirkpatrick dkirk_at_phy.syr.edu
Computer Systems Manager
Department of Physics
Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY