Verify or Salvage (fwd)

From: wren <wren_at_oakland.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 12:38:03 -0500 (EST)

We had a 3rd party RAID5 array crash recently. The AdvFS domain was
"trashed". I'm looking to recover anything possible from this AdvFS
domain.

Verify doesn't seem to do anything useful, so we are trying to use the
salvage command.

I know that at least something is on the disk, because examining the
/dev/disk/dsk0c (dsk0 is not the system disk) shows me some of the text
that we are attempting to recover. dsk0c is the only member of the
mail_domain advfs domain. The domain has only one fileset mail.

The domain is unmountable due to the crash. In fact, the disk required
relabeling using disklabel.

The problem is this:
/sbin/advfs/salvage -l -o ask -p -S mail_domain mail

should give is about the result we are looking for.

until we get this message:
Current softlimit on tag array 10000000; increase size to 87983980?

a yes answer yields the following:
Unable to obtain requested swap space

swap was increased by adding free partitions temporarily for this
operation. We have used as much as 11GB of swap for this op. The error
changes to:
Current softlimit on tag array 87983980; increase size to 1431656436?

a yes answer yields:
realloc() failed; Old size 87983980 New size 1431656436

Which still looks like a memory issue.

The mail_domain is ~70GB. The machine is a DS20 with 1G ram.

My thought is that the tag array for a 70GB domain is too large to analize
with the current memory amount of this system. Purhaps the salvage
command isn't optimized for memory usage.

I need to be able to run this command without these errors. Further, an
error saying "no useful information found" would be better than a lack of
memory error.

--
Jay R. Wren  (wren_at_oakland.edu)
Systems Programmer