Urgent - can't resolve host in same domain

From: <jreed_at_appliedtheory.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 08:28:42 -0500

We have a system that's not responding correctly to other machines
in its domain, just since this weekend sometime.

It's hostname is of the form aaa.bbb.com. The second host is
of the form ddd.bbb.com. I can ping, telnet, etc, from aaa.bbb.com
to:
        ddd.bbb.com
but when I try to ping/telnet/etc to:
        ddd
I get:
        ping: unknown host ddd
and if I try ssh to:
        ddd
I get:
        Bad host name: ddd

This kind of thing works fine from ddd to aaa, but aaa can't do
the basic resolution of its own domain. The resolv.conf file looks
like:

nameserver 123.456.78.99
nameserver 123.456.89.99
domain bbb.com
search other.domain.1 other.domain.2

Can anyone suggest what might be going on here??? This is urgent,
as aaa and ddd need to talk to each other for production
apps to work, and I'm guessing the apps are using the short
form of the hostname, so apps are down.

TIA

--
Judith Reed