SUMMARY: Urgent, can't resolve host in same domain

From: <jreed_at_appliedtheory.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 09:28:31 -0500

Thanks to the many people who replied so quickly!!! There were
lots of good suggestions, including things like look for embedded
characters in resolv.conf, bogus entries in /etc/hosts, checking
svc.conf.

The one response that really struck me was a quote from the man
page for resolv.conf indicating that the "domain" entry and
the "search" entry are mutually exclusive, and the last one found
will be the one used. Since we had both these entries in our files,
I decided to go with only the "search" entry, and put the host's own
domain into the search entry. This solves the problem, although
it doesn't really explain the behavior, as we were seeing intermittent
resolution, sometimes you could resolve an unqualified host name
on a host, sometimes you couldn't, nothing changes in the middle.
I did find that having the host's domain in the search clause makes
it work all the time, though, so I'm going with that.

Thanks again...
--
Judith Reed
jreed_at_appliedtheory.com