SUMMARY:I/O Error accessing shared storage

From: Timothy Brown <brownt_at_celerent.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 23:12:16 +0000

Thanks to the following for a quick response to my
question: Alan Nabeth, Dr. Tom Blinn, Chris Ruhnke, Alan
Davis, and William J Bochnik.

I had asked if was possible to add a third node
(standalone) into a 2 node cluster running V5.0a in order
for all 3 nodes to utilize the shared storage...

The overwhelming response was that it was unwise,
unsupported, and really dangerous to add a non-cluster
member to share the "shared storage". The cluster
software keeps track of the drives and any attempt by a
non-clustered system to access these drives would result
in unreliable data being presented.

I should of stated in my original note that this was
being done on 3 test nodes and no customer data was at
risk. We were going to look into zoning of the FC
switches and selective presentation on the storage.

Tim