mt -f <device> rewind

From: <C.Schwabl_at_mobilkom.at>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 12:39:42 +0100

Dear managers,

as i began to work today i saw that one of our backup failed.
I looked into the log-files and found the following (we are using brbackup
to do an online-backup of the sap-system):

BR278E Command output of 'LANG=C mt -f /dev/rmt0h rew':
^G
Error on device named /dev/rmt0h - Place DLT8000 tape drive unit #1 ONLINE
BR279E Return code from 'LANG=C mt -f /dev/rmt0h rew': 1
BR213E Winding tape volume in device /dev/nrmt0h failed.

BR056I End of database backup: bdejpfgk.ant 2001-01-05 01.05.12
BR054I BRBACKUP terminated with errors.

As the tape was still in the drive (and online), i tried to do the rewind
manually:

xxx:root 283> mt -f /dev/rmt0h rewind
^Hxxx:root 284>

After this command, every mt on this device succeeded as one would expect...

Has anyone ever encountered such an output?
What can be done to prevent this from happening again? (i dont like the
feeling of having no backup...)

The system is a AlphaServer 4100 running Tru64 4.0F with Patchkit 3
installed.
The device in question is a HP DLT 8000 (we are using a HP-Library for the
SAP-Backup)

any help is appreciated, i will summarize.
If you need more information, just ask me, i will try to provide the info if
possible..

with kind regards,
Schwabl Christian <c.schwabl_at_mobilkom.at>
IT-UXOS, mobilkom