NIS alternatives

From: Don Becker <don_at_adelphi.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:56:30 -0500 (EST)

We are currently using NIS with C2 security solely for user authentication.
At this point, we have one master server, one slave, and only a handful of
clients, with over 4000 users. As the userbase gets bigger, NIS' faults
have become more and more apparent. Our choices are to move the NIS master
to a faster machine (which I've tried, but have had no success with) or
finding an alternative.

Anyone out there know of a good alternative to NIS that will allow us to
port our users (and passwords) over? Or ideas on how to move the master
from one machine to another?

--
Don Becker              don_at_adelphi.edu              http://www.donbecker.org
Unix System Administrator, Adelphi University          http://www.adelphi.edu