SUMMARY Use doconfig to upgrade network card on Alpha?

From: Paul N. Youngblood <youngbp_at_uahis1.uah.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 17:55:50 -0600 (CST)

Hello Admins,

Thanks to your responses, I understand that I probably won't have
to build a new kernel at all. Because I plan to remove the old card
and put the new card in the same slot, and because the old card uses
the "tu" driver, I will be able to simply boot up after replacing the
network card, and all should be well.

Since the command "uerf -R -r 300 | more" displayed this:
     tu0: DEC TULIP (10Mbps) Ethernet
and my current kernel config file, /usr/sys/conf/NAME, had this line:
     controller tu0 at pci0 slot 0
I'm thinking that everything is configured properly in the current
kernel. The new network card is a DE500-BA, and supposedly uses the
"tu" driver.

Also, I'll need to change the setting for "ew?_mode" at the triple
prompt (>>>) from "TwistedPair" to "FastFD" because we want to talk
100Mb full duplex to the new network connection.

My original question is at the end of this summary. Many thanks to
the following for taking the time to give me the benefit of their
knowledge. You've helped me a lot!

     Dr. Tom Blinn <tpb_at_doctor.zk3.dec.com>
     Joe Fletcher <joe_at_meng.ucl.ac.uk>
     Sunil Kurupath <sunil_at_alf.dec.com>
     John Losey <JOHLOS_at_HBSI.COM>
     Alex Gorbachev <alex_at_iss-integration.com>

-------- original posting -----------------------------------

Hello Admins,
I'm planning to replace the current 10 Mb network adapter in
an AlphaServer 2100 4/200 with a newer 100 Mb card (DE500-xx).
The 2100 is running DU v4.0d. Once the faster adapter is in
place, do I need to boot with the generic kernel, run doconfig,
and build a new kernel to get the system to recognize the new
100 Mb card?

Thanks for your help. I'll certainly summarize.

Paul Youngblood
University of Alabama in Huntsville
youngbp_at_uahis1.uah.edu