[SUMMARY - addendum] Problem with CSLG OSF-USR license?

From: Simon Greaves <Simon.Greaves_at_usp.ac.fj>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 11:48:48 +1200 (FJT)

I've had a number of further responses to this question, thanks to all
those who replied.

The fix remains the same, remove the IMPLICIT license, but I thought I'd
add these responses as it seems this is not an uncommon problem.

8<------------------------------------------------------
From: Stephen Dowdy <dowdy_at_cs.colorado.edu>

With the CSLG osf-usr license you should be able to set the #units
to any value. I believe that you usually want 400 x # cpus (so a 4cpu
2100 syste would need 1600 units). I forget the details but again,
you can set it to virtually anything. Something like:

        modify osf-usr dec
        (change units to whatever, then exit editor)
        reset

My beef is that LMF usually finds the *worst* (or expired) license,
rather than the best or functiona license, argh.

8<------------------------------------------------------
From: Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola.Milutinovic_at_ev.co.yu>

Unlimited licenses usually have 1100 for a number of units. Here is mine:

OSF-USR active unlimited
OSF-USR active, multiple unlimited

Looks like your license is rejected by the system.

8<------------------------------------------------------
From: John Deacon <jrd_at_star.ucl.ac.uk>

A bit late now but FYI you can sort this out without needing the
Authorization Number, you can just do:

# lmf del OSF-USR DEC UNIX-SERVER-IMPLICIT-USER
# lmf reset

to get rid of the 4-user limit.

8<------------------------------------------------------
From: Sheila Hollenbaugh <shollen_at_cs.wright.edu>

You need to delete the IMPLICIT license (we have the same problem every
time we
do an upgrade).

8<------------------------------------------------------
From: JILL TOTH <TOTHJIL_at_aquinas.edu>

We had the same problem, which wasn't noticed until after a new server
went into production and the users couldn't login. The solution was
reloading my Unix unlimited license pak.

8<------------------------------------------------------
From: Chad Price <cprice_at_molbio.unmc.edu>

I saw your note after all was finished, but there is a point here.. I
also had multiple OSF-USR licences last year, and when I applied the
updates, I could get no users logged in (not even 4). I think DEC/Compaq
must have changed to the way the software works this year. At least I
know I'm not the only one caught out by it.

8<------------------------------------------------------
From: "Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_doctor.zk3.dec.com>

If you do "lmf list full for osf-usr" you can see what the LMF believes
for both licenses. You can remove the "implicit user" license; its
presence may be a problem in conjunction with the "unlimited" license
(which would be a bug in the LMF code). If you do remove the implicit
license and then want to put it back, there is a script in /sbin/it.d/bin
that does it for you.

8<------------------------------------------------------

And the original message, just in case...

As a University we get CSLG license paks - from Australia I think.

I've just been updating them when I noticed:

OSF-USR active 4 1
OSF-USR active, multiple 4 1

One of these is the UNIX-SERVER-IMPLICIT-USER license, and the other
(ASP-SN-2000JAN27-4639) is supposed to be unlimited user. I _thought_ it
said 'unlimited' in the 'Users: Total' column of lmf's list command before
I added the new license, but I'm not sure.

I deleted the previous OSF-USR license and did an 'lmf reset' before and
after registering the new PAK. I also tried removing the new license and
re-registering it.

Classes have just started, so this is going to be a big problem if only 4
users can get access :-(

Any/All comments welcome,

Simon
--