SUMMARY: compiling ssh-2.1.0.pl2

From: Bugs Brouillard <bb1_at_humboldt.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:49:37 -0700 (PDT)

Here is my original post:

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Bugs Brouillard wrote:

->
->Hello,
->Do you have to do anything special to build ssh-2.1.0.pl2?
->In the configure process, i get errors such as:
->-msg_disable: Unknown flag
->cc: Warning: configure, line 2315: In this statement, there is no prototype for "exit".
->...and more
->
->In "make" i get:
->cc: Error: ../../../lib/sshutil/sshincludes_unix.h, line 57: #error "Autoconfig
->error, your compiler doesn't seem to support any 32 bit type"
->...and more
->
->I tried it with no configure options, and with "--disable-asm".
->
->I have DU4.0d, Ive tried on an alpha 3000, and 2 different 2100's.
->Ive tried one with standard CC, and one with gnu gcc 2.7.2
->
->I use ssh1 with no problems.
->
->Thanks.
->
->Bugs Brouillard Unix system administrator
->Humboldt State Univ. 707-826-6123

Thanks for the suggestions from:
Paul A Sand <pas_at_unh.edu>
J Bacher <jb_at_jbacher.com>

Here is what I finaly did to get it to work:
I installed gnu C compiler 2.95.2 just to install ssh 2.1.0P12. I ended up
removing the option:
 `-msg_disable longdoubleenyi' from configure.in and configure. The configure
still gave me some crap about modifying those files, and the "make" had a few
warnings, but it finaly compiled.
Heres the kicker. It wont run from inetd, because it gets a "packet too long error"
even though i DID NOT build with tcpwrapper support, and when run as a daemon,
it wont fork another server after someone connects, so its unavailable to the
next user trying to connect too it. Yes, it is set to MaxConnections = 0.
So what i do is use "swatch" to look for strings in syslog to fire up another
server when needed. You need to cover regular connections, logouts, and
user disconnects and aborted logins.
Here are the strings that swatch looks for:
/Remote host disconnected/,/Authentication cancelled/,/RSA key generation
complete/,/ tty using TIOCSCTTY/,/Local disconnected/,/authenticated/
exec='/usr/local/sbin/sshd2 -p 22 -v'
This works for us.

Another little thing. Since we use C2 security, and this does not seem to
be built in sshd2, password authentication does not work. You have to
use publickey, create the keys on the client, and put them on the server.

I tried compiling ssh 2.2, but got the same config errors, so I will wait
until they take care of those before upgrading.

Bugs Brouillard Unix system administrator
Humboldt State Univ. 707-826-6123
Arcata, Calif.

email bb1_at_humboldt.edu