Ultrix compatibility library (libmxr.so)

From: Alun Jones <auj_at_aber.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:17:53 +0100

Dear all,

We've just acquired a shiny new XP1000 workstation with a fresh installation
of Tru64 version 5. I have one single legacy application which runs using
libmxr. Unfortunately, this application plain refuses to run (more to the
point, it runs and exits immediately) and refuses to give me any diagnostic
output either. I've narrowed things down a bit.

Under our old systems, running Tru64 v. 4.0D, the "mxr" command seems to
work (it reports an error if I run it with no arguments). Under Tru64 v.
5.0, typing "mxr" gives me back my prompt immediately with no output. The
error code returned to the shell is 255. Passing it arguments makes no
difference to this behaviour.

Setting the debugging environment variables described in the mxr man page
causes no debugging output to be generated.

I'm not sure whether I need to enable something else in the kernel to get
this working (I have to admit I'm completely naive to this problem - the
fact that the application was even running under ultrix compatibility
escaped me until yesterday).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've spent the morning browsing Compaq's
web site and have come across nothing about this.

Obviously, I'll summarise any responses I get...

Thanks,
Alun.

--
Dr. Alun Jones                   auj_at_aber.ac.uk
Systems Support,                 auj_at_penguin.fluff.org (in case of problems)