problem with alpha machine

From: Carl Virtanen <carl_at_cimmed.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:53:37 +1000

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me any pointers on the following error. Recently one of our alpha machines crashed and will no longer come back up. I can get into the alpha SRM console, but tru64(v5.0) will not boot. When trying to boot i get errors like :
Bank 3 dimm 0 byte number 2 in error
ev6 icache data or tag parity error on cpu0
etc.
and then pages of the same.

I have a feeling the cpu (cpu0, it's a dual machine) has died or else it's a motherboard problem (264dp mobo). I'm in the process of getting a service call on the machine, but i was wondering if there was a way to find out more info on the problem, boot the system on cpu1 and do a backup of data before sending it out, etc. Luckily i have a backup of data, and this machine is not used so heavily except for a couple of number crunching tasks, but the backup is a couple of weeks old.
Any tips?

carl