SUMMARY multiple cpu's on 2100

From: managers account <managers_at_2100-1.mcb.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:03:31 +0100 (BST)

Original query:

> Our production 2100's (in a cluster) have 2 cpu's. We have a spare 2100
> which has 4 cpu's (all licenced). What is involved in putting extra
> cpu's in the production machines in the way of hardware transfer eg do
> they all have to be the same chip/speed, and in software eg licence moves
> kernel upgrades etc. 4.0d running; shortly to move to 4.0g as recommended
> by Dr Tom.
>
> stuart mckenzie

Thanks to the following for their replies:
Steve Smith
Dr Tom Blinn
Jim Barriault
Alan Davis
Peter Reynolds
Paul Thompson
alan_at_nabeth

The cpus in a 2100 have all to be the same chip, the same speed and the
same firmware. Thus 4/250 and 5/233 would not work.

The licensing is a bit convoluted so I include verbatim Dr Blinn's
exposition below.

However the sting was pointed out by Peter Reynolds who said that more
than 2 cpus in a 2100 required two power supplies. Close examination of
our production m/cs with 2 cpu's and our spare with 4 showed this up only
too well so we are kiboshed because all the spare power supplie we have
are for the stand alone 2100 whereas the production models are racked and
do not use the same supply.

stuart mckenzie

"Our standard license rules say that the license goes with the CPU. In an
SMP system, I believe the first license is a different part number and has
different license PAK information than a second or subsequent CPU, but I
would have to go read the SPD and check part numbers to be really sure.
What this may mean is that you'd need a different license for the primary
CPU from the 4 CPU system if you wanted to move it to one of the duals,
e.g., to make each production dual a quad (by adding 2 CPUs). I simply
am not certain on the rules here. As long as the quad system is licensed
for V4.0 or later, it's licensed for V4.0G (there is no upgrade license
from one letter to a later letter as long as the numbers don't change).
If you were going from V4.0x to V5.x, there would be an update license
issue to deal with.

If you have all the license PAK documents, and the CPUs are all the same
type and speed, and you just want to move two CPUs from the quad to make
each of the dual CPU production systems a triple, it's relatively easy,
register the relevant license PAK on each of the two duals (this works
even if you don't move the hardware), then move the CPUs and reboot (of
course, powering down, etc.). If you wanted to move ALL the CPUs from
the quad into the duals, to make each dual a quad, and you have all of
the license PAKs from the "slave" CPUs in the quad, you can get it to
work by registering any two of the "second CPU" PAKs for the quad's CPUs
on the production duals; there is nothing in the LMF that will check to
make sure you have not done this. It would avoid figuring out whether
you are really supposed to get a different license for the "primary CPU"
from the old quad if you move it to a different MP system. As long as
you don't register more license PAKs and have them active than you paid
for, no one is likely to get upset. But, strictly speaking, you should
make sure that it's not a different license PAK and if it is, obtain the
correct license PAK for that "first CPU" before you move it. "