Turning off RIP Summary and further questions

From: Timothy Baird <bairdtimothy_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 17:40:52 -0500 (EST)

As always this list is the best. I got quick answers even with forgetting to
put in my return e-mail. Thanks to:

Sheila Hollenbaugh shollen_at_cs.wright.edu
simon.millard_at_barclays.co.uk
Serguei Patchkovskii patchkov_at_ucalgary.ca
Anthony A. D. Talltree aad_at_talltree.net
Scott Mutchler smutchler_at_gfs.com
Dave Tetreault davet_at_uriacc.uri.edu

The group answer was to disable routed by going into /etc/rc.config. Sergui
recommended looking in the archives for a fix to disable ICMP redirects,
also. I found this:

>dbx /vmunix -k /dev/kmem
>p icmp_rejectcodemask
>0
>patch icmp_rejectcodemask=0x20
>32
>quit
>
>That's it, you will now ignore all ICMP redirects

Unfortunately, the system I am dealing with is not running routed or gated
and does not have a developers license (its a production box on the customer
site).

Here is a more detailed description of the problem:

We have 2100 running 4.0D pk3. The /etc/routes is:
-net 128.108 128.107.1.3
-net 128.109 128.107.1.3
-net 128.111 128.107.1.3

We loose connection to one of the branches an netstat -r shows:
Rote Tree for Protocol Family 2:
localhost localhost UH 1 1103928 lo0
128.107 izzy U 50 5977184 tu0
128.108 128.107.1.3 UGS 0 0 tu0
128.109 128.107.10.25 UGMS 3 66656 tu0
128.111 128.107.1.3 UGS 0 0 tu0

I know the addressing scheme is not the best but we live with what we
inherit. If I route delete then 128.109 route and route add the correct
route, it fixes the problem for the time being. Until the next time.

I was told by our networking folkes tell me that the problem was RIP. routed
and gated are not running. Are they right and is there a fix that does not
involve dbx?

Any help cheerfully accepted. Thanks in advance,
Tim Baird
bairdtimothy_at_hotmail.com