Oracle on Digital UNIX 4.0D - OS problems

From: Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola.Milutinovic_at_ev.co.yu>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 08:44:37 +0100

Hi all.

This is not strictly an Oracle question, I need some OS specific
clarifications.

We have AS 4100, 1 CPU, 512 MB RAM (don't ask), swap=2GB RAID
OS is Digital UNIX 4.0D
Oracle is 7.3.4

We have some 7 machines like this, distributed over the area, with the
identical application, but different data. The most loaded machine is
having troubles. Just briefly, Oracle has several internal processes and
a network listener, which accepts client requests and spawns a separate
process to handle the request - "oracleedns" in our case ("edns" is the
DB instance name).

The troubled machine starts getting more and more of those "oracleedns"
processes that show in "ps aux as:

USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY S STARTED TIME
COMMAND
ora734 7108 6.2 1.1 379M 5.8M ?? R 07:24:25 3:37.23
oracleedns (LOCAL=NO)
ora734 6401 6.2 0.1 379M 680K ?? R 07:01:42 7:04.49
oracleedns (LOCAL=NO)
ora734 8222 0.0 0.0 11.5M 176K ?? S 07:57:52 0:00.05
oracleedns (LOCAL=NO)

So, they are running and sucking CPU, causing high uptime and consuming
swap space. When swap falls to the ground everything starts to fail.

Oracle reports an error "OS process memory has been exhausted". Oracle
manual says that either we should increase "memory quota" or the
application is rampaging. The application is the same as everywhere
else, we've manually transfered from another subsidiary and it still
does this. The interesting thing is that VSZ for these runaway processes
is ~300 MB, while other, "normal", sleeping, "oracleedns" processes have
~11 MB

QUESTION
--------

I have the following kernel parameters on this system:

max-per-proc-stack-size: 32 MB
per-proc-stack-size: 2 MB
max-per-proc-data-size: 1 GB
per-proc-data-size: 128 MB
max-per-proc-address-space: 1 GB
per-proc-address-space: 1 GB

Should I change any of these?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I figure, with 2.5 GB of real address space
(swap+RAM), there is no point in increasing address space, since it is
already 1 GB. Also, Stack-Size of 2 and max of 32 MB ought to be enough.
Data segment is preallocated, right? I mean, when you compile a program,
the compiler will decide the size of data and stack segments.

TYIA,
Nix.
--
'People will look up to you when you die;
I'm going to bury you up a tree!'