|FAQ||Mail List||Software||Classified Ads|
AlphaNT Mail List
Please notify email@example.com of any problems encountered!
The AlphaNT Mail List has been the digital watering hole for Alpha officianados and novices since 1995. The list has had many reincarnations. Initially hosted co-resident with the early version of Aaron's AlphaNT Application Archive, then moved to a site hosted by Allen-Bradley (a Rockwell company), the mail list moved to Lizon Corporation's Internet services facility until the demise at the hands of script kiddies taking advantage of the inherent weaknesses of Microsoft's operating systems and Internet services. Now, the mail list resides on a list service graciously hosted by Sunbelt Software using the Lyris engine. Subscription, account management, and list archives are available through a web interface at Sunbelt's site.
Back to top
The list is unmoderated, although there are some simple rules we try to live by in order to make life for everyone a bit easier and more civil. Here is a condensed version of some things that we think are appropriate and a few things that are not.
- Use your real name someplace in your message or signature.
- Keep your language clean and civil.
- Try to minimize the number of questions per message; several threads of one question each are often responded to better than one message with several unrelated questions.
- Respond to the list when providing technical content -- taking conversations off-list takes away the learning experience for others.
- When replying to others, only quote specific areas of the thread pertinent to your response.
- Take personal content off-list. Be careful when replying to an individual, ensure that the To: address is indeed the individual's and not the mail list.
- Check the FAQ before posting a question.
If you fail to abide by these rules, you will be given one personal reminder; a second failure will result in your being barred from the list for a month; a third failure will result in permanent removal from the list.
- No commercial selling of products is allowed -- use the Classified Ads section for that; at most, we will allow you to include limited info in your signature file, but the standard netiquette rules of limiting signatures to 4-5 lines apply.
- Do not post Request For Quotations on the list -- use the Hardware Vendors page to make your own list of vendors, do not burden the other subscribers with your personal business.
- Minimize the jokes, and please, no off-color, sexual, racial, or other inflammatory materiel. This is a technical discussion forum, jokes or derogatory content can be found elsewhere on the net.
- We try not to have OS or hardware wars -- your assistance in maintaining our professional demeanor is appreciated. Discussing features of one platform over another, or alternative methods for accomplishing a task are acceptable; inflammaatory comments, baiting, or simple badmouthing are not appreciated.
- Don't SPAM the list when you can't figure out how to unsubscribe or are having other problems; see the List of Administrators below for how to get problems solved.
- Don't ask a question without checking the FAQ first to see if it's been asked and answered already.
- Do not send MIME encoded email, graphical signatures, or RTF mail with WINMAIL.DAT files to the list; raw text is preferred by all. See http://www.orca.bc.ca/win95/faq10.htm#b10_2_1_2 for instructions on how to disable several annoying Exchange/Windows Messaging idiosyncracies. Also consider getting Internet Idioms from the Internet section of the File Archive on this site to easily allow the removal of rich text.
- Do not send file attachments (e.g., kits, ZIP files, .VCF files, or html) to the list -- either send the attachment directly to the recipient, post it in the 'Incoming' directory for those interested parties to share, send a URL pointing to the file, or send it on request to individuals. A simple 100K attachment can quickly become multiple hundreds of megabytes when dutifully duplicated by the mail list server.
- In order to conserve bandwidth and digest volume, do not quote an entire email message when you are only responding to less than the entire post; quote only pertinent portions of the questions.
Back to top
List of Administrators
The mail list is co-hosted by the following individuals. Either of us can help subscribe, unsubscribe, or change the status of your subscription. Sending a "GET ME OFF THIS *&%#@! LIST" to the mail list will simply irritate hundreds of subscribers in addition to getting a response from one of the administrators. Sending a message to the administrators below will spare you a lot of grief.
Aaron 'Alphaman' Sakovich, founder & administrator
Back to top
Mail list archives
Mail list archives for the current version of the archive are available through the web interface at Sunbelt's site.
The original historical archive, dating from before it was hosted at Rockwell, back to the initial creation of the mail list, is available on this site. The instructions for joining the mail list on the referenced page are obsolete -- please follow the instructions on this page.
The old AlphaNT mail list archive from the days at Lizon Corporation will soon be found via the following table of links. At the present time, this site is still in development -- keep your eyes open for updates and new features. Currently, the site is not searchable. Links on the following list are currently unavailable!!!
Chronological Thread October Whole month Whole month November Whole month Whole month December Whole month Whole month
Chronological Thread January Whole month Whole month February Whole month Whole month March Whole month Whole month April N/A N/A May N/A N/A June N/A N/A July N/A N/A August Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 September Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 October Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 November Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 December Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6
Chronological Thread January Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 February Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 March Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 April Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 May Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 June Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 July Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 August Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 September Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 October Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 November Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 Week 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6
Back to top
Compaq, Digital, Alpha, and Alphapowered
are trademarks of Compaq Computer Corporation.
Windows NT is a trademark of Microsoft.
The AlphaNT Source website and its
contents Copyright © 1998,1999,2000 by Aaron C. Sakovich
unless otherwise indicated.
This site is free documentation; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This document is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should be able to access a copy of the GNU General Public License on this website; if not, write to the Free SoftwareFoundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.