Tune up by using the Maintenance Wizard
Use the Maintenance Wizard to set up a schedule and options for performing a standard maintenance routine.
When you have specified a timetable, the wizard will run three tools:
- Disk Defragmenter. This speeds access to files by tidying up disk storage.
- ScanDisk. This scans your files and drive disk for errors and fixes them.
- Disk Cleanup. This deletes obsolete temporary files.
To run the Maintenance Wizard:
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Maintenance Wizard.
- Choose either the Express option or the Custom option.
Choose the Express option to set up a schedule. The Maintenance Wizard will do the rest, and will ask if you'd like to perform your first maintenance when you click Finish.
If you'd like to see the maintenance-tool options, choose the Custom option. The Maintenance Wizard will prompt you to schedule a regular maintenance time. Then it will walk you through the options for Disk Defragmenter, ScanDisk, and Disk Cleanup. After you have specified options for the three tools, the Maintenance Wizard will give you the option of running them for the first time when you click Finish.
You can also run the maintenance tools separately at any time. Just click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then choose the tool you want to use. When you run the tools separately, you'll have different options than when the Maintenance wizard runs them automatically.